"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

I love watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It intrigues the hell out of me. Dozens of chefs in the kitchen obsessively testing the same recipe to come up with the "best" of something. This is ATK's version of blueberry muffins. I didn't use a recipe for this I just jotted down notes as I watched it for a 2nd and 3rd time. The only adjustment that I made was that I used a 12 muffin pan instead of a 6 muffin pan. Overall these are pretty darn good muffins, I don't know if I have had a better "home made" one!
Ingredients
Jam:
5-8oz. fresh blueberries
1 tsp. sugar
Sugar topping:
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 grated lemon zest
Muffins:
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/8 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
4 Tbs. butter
4Tbs. vegetable oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. fresh blueberries
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 425.
To make the jam, combine blueberries and sugar in saucepan over medium heat and cook for 6 minutes, smashing the berries a little. It should equal about 1/4 cup reduced.

To make the sugar topping, combine 1/3 cup sugar and the grated lemon zest.
Making the muffins. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl and set aside.
Mix together the eggs, sugar, butter, oil, buttermilk and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Then add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until blended.
Fold in the blueberries.
Using ice cream scoop fill muffin tin 3/4 full.
.

Dip jam into center of each muffin tin and swirl with chopstick or skewer.

Sprinkle sugar topping on each one.

Bake for 18 minutes or when toothpick comes out with little or no crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment