"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stevia! A better alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners?

Made from the leaves of a South American shrub and marketed under names like Truvia, PureVia and Stevia in the Raw, it's the "new" sugar substitute. The pitch is zero calories, zero carbohydrates and a zero chance of a spike in blood sugar levels.


I finally jumped on the Stevia bandwagon and bought a box of it, I have decided to try to curb my aspartame use. Cutting down on sugar wasn't to difficult because I think Splenda can go pretty much unoticed in a lot of baked good, and I bought a plethera of it at Costco. However I find myself a little unsure of this new sweetener and was hoping to gain insight from any of you. Have you used it? Tried it? How is it in baked goods? I have so many questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment