"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thai Tofu and Green Bean Red Curry

This is my final Thai dish of the week. I pulled this recipe out of my Thai cookbook.  This book has so many good recipes it was hard to make a decision. However, I chose a vegetarian dish with mushrooms because the hubs doesn't like them and I do. Perfect time to make it since he was away.
I got the ingredients at my local Ranch 99 market (Asian market) because I knew I wouldn't find Thai chilies or Kaffir leaves anywhere else.  I used 3 Thai chilies and it was perfectly SPICY! Actually got me coughing and the baby moving. I served this over rice and it was delicious!



Ingredients

2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 -2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
3 1/4 cups button mushrooms
1 cup green beans, trimmed
6 ounces firm tofu, rinsed,drained,and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
2 -4 fresh hot red chilies or 2 -4 Thai chilies, chopped ( amount to taste)
fresh cilantro leaves ( coriander

Directions

Heat approximately 1/3 of the coconut milk in a large pan.


When it starts to separate (an oily sheen will appear on the surface), add the curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar and stir to mix well.

Add the cleaned mushrooms and cook 1 minute.

Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and bring to a boil.

Add the green beans and tofu, then reduce heat, and simmer gently for about 4-5 minutes.

Add the kaffir lime leaves and hot chillies.

Garnish with cilantro before serving.

Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment