"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gazpacho quick and easy

My school is having our 2nd annual "Friends from around the World" Fiesta tomorrow( I named it, do you like it?) I am doing a booth on Spain because, well I have Spain fever. I printed out a bunch of pictures on the La Tomatina Festival which is a huge tomato fight in the streets of Bunol, Valencia.

doesn't that look like such a fun time?
















I am going to have the kids paint with tomatoes and taste some Gazpacho. Like I mentioned before I haven't been in the kitchen much lately and I'm kinda enjoying it so when I remembered I needed to make some Gazpacho I thought "OK' let's do this the easy way. So here is what I came up with. Since my dishwasher is in Vegas, luckily I only have a cutting board, a knife and a food processor to clean! Phew!

* I doubled this recipe so that is why it looks like so much in the food processor ;-)

Oh and if you don't know what Gazpacho is, "it's a is a cold tomato-based raw vegetable soup, originating in the southern region of Andalucia. Gazpacho is widely consumed throughout Spain and neighboring Portugal. Gazpacho is mostly consumed during the summer months, due to its refreshing qualities." It's sometimes referred to as a liquid salad!

Ingredients
6-8 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cucumbers, chopped
salt (preferably sea salt)
fresh ground black pepper
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juice of
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 cup tomato juice


















Directions
Dump 1/3 cup olive oil and lemon juice into a blender or food processor.

















Add the vegetables, then the seasonings.



































Add the vinegar and tomato juice


















Use the "pulse" button on food processor so it makes a chopped soup rather than smooth
Taste and then add more salt, pepper, oil or juice to your liking.















I made this for a party but if it was for me I would garnish with some fresh basil and serve with some fresh crusty bread. Take it outside and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment