"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin curry (coconut) soup

I received this delicious recipe from my cousin. Thanks Dorothy! I was going to make a Bobby Flay recipe I hadn't made before but being I was going to feed people other than my husband, I decided to go with a recipe that had been given a thumbs up by a women with a great palate.
I did however make a small change in the recipe, I wanted to omit the dairy so I replaced the evaporated milk with coconut milk, it is a bowl of goodness.

* I made a second batch of this soup using the evaporated milk and it's delicious too!

Pumpkin Curry Soup w/ Coconut Milk


Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup (1 small) chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) Libbys canned pumpkin
12 oz. Coconut milk ( or evaporated milk )

Directions
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and pumpkin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in coconut milk. Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until smooth. Serve warm.

Top with creme fraiche, pepitas, chives or anything else or nothing at all~
* I believe an emulsion blender would work fine with this as well, and less cleanup!

No comments:

Post a Comment