"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homemade Granola with Olive Oil

After trying a friends delicious homemade granola at our "brunch" theme, I knew I had to make some. I searched and searched for the "perfect" recipe but couldn't find it. So I had a little fun of my own using an Alton Brown recipe as a base. I wanted to add flax seeds to this but I didn't have any left, so that will be added to the next batch. It turned out just as I had imagined and I can't wait to try it with my Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast!


Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
2 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 plus 2 Tbs real maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins

Directions
Preheat oven 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.
In a seperate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, cinnamon and salt.


Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans.

Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every so often. Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed. Store in air tight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment