"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tomato, Goat Cheese, and Onion Tart

This recipe is out of my latest cookbook Gourmet Today! Our latest theme was "brunch" and I thought this tart would be perfect. I want to apologize about not getting pictures of the end result :( I always seem to forget once we are all together and all that delicious food is staring me down!



I used a basic tart/pie dough recipe from another source. I will post the link:
http://localfoods.about.com/od/basics/r/pie_tart_crust.htm

Before I baked the crust I pierced it in several places with the tines of a fork, covered it with foil and filled with beans to keep it from puffing up! Bake in preheated 375 oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and bake shell until golden, 8-10 minutes more.












The tart shell is the labor intense part of this recipe, the rest is a breeze!



3 Tbs. Olive Oil

1 large onion, very thinly sliced

salt and freshly ground pepper

6 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled

3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced

sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish



Directions



Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.

Spread onion over bottom of tart shell. Top with all but 1/3 cup goat cheese. Arrange tomatoes, slightly overlapping, in concentric circles over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil.

Bake until cheese begins to brown slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool tart on a rack for 5 minutes, them remove from pan and garnish with basil!

No comments:

Post a Comment