"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Coconut Chicken Curry in the Crockpot

So I wanted to use my crockpot today so I had some free time to tend to my garden. I have started a container vegetable garden in our side yard. We are attempting to grow Roma and super sweet tomatoes, jalapenos, serranos, basil, onions and bell peppers. Ok I got off track, so I didn't want to be stuck in the kitchen this evening so I decided on a chicken curry dish. This recipe is a collaboration of a few different recipes I found online and this is the first time I have made this exact dish and the first time I have made a curry dish in the crockpot. I varied the recipe around what I had in my fridge, If I had potatoes I probably would of thrown some of those in but I didn't so cauliflower took its place. I am going to serve the curry over whole wheat couscous although I almost made Quinoa instead, oh well that's another night.

Stars of the show:
10 Boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1’ pieces
1 head cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 red bell pepper chopped
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 can lite coconut milk
1 Tbs canola oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp ground turmeric
1tsp dried thyme
¾ tsp salt, divided
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ Tbs curry powder
1 tsp cayenne (or to taste if you don’t like it HOT)
1/3 cup Raisins or cranberries (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cilantro for garnish
Directions:

Mix the turmeric, thyme and ¼ tsp salt together and coat the chicken pieces with the spice mixture. Set aside

Spray the inside of the crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place the prepared cauliflower, onion, garlic, bell pepper and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Brown the chicken in 1 Tbs canola oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken thigh pieces in two batches until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a plate to drain. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, mix well.
Place the chicken in the crock pot over the veggies and pour sauce over chicken. Cover and let cook on High for 1 hour then turn down to Low and let it continue to cook another 4 hours. I know it may be hard but don’t touch!




When the time is up taste the curry to make sure the seasoning is to your liking, this is the time to add the raisins or cranberries if you are using them, put the lid back on for 10 minutes to rehydrate and plump them up and then you are all set to eat!
Serve with Whole wheat couscous or Quinoa, Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment