"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Monkey Bread

I think this blog will be a fun way to share recipes and a great way to archive all the different things i have made. My husband gets to be the guinea pig every time a try a new recipe out and now I can share it all with you. I will be able to look back and see what worked, what didn't and why. Thank you for reading and I hope we make a lot of good food along the way.

Those bananas have seen better days

This morning I decided to use up the very ripe bananas on my counter, they were begging to be turned into a delicious banana bread or Monkey bread as my preschoolers call it. I used an old recipe I had but I substituted a little splenda in place of some sugar but if you don't like the artificial sweetener thing then by all means use all sugar. I was planning on putting pecans it this recipe but I forgot, oops!


Monkey Bread


Ingredients
3 smashed bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
½ cup sugar and ¼ cup splenda
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 pinches of kosher salt ( if using table salt just use 1 pinch)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Method
I didn’t use my mixer for this recipe this can be easily mixed with a wooden spoon but if you are inseparable with your KitchenAid then please use it and have your husband or roommate do the dishes ;) Mix together the bananas and melted butter in large bowl. Add the sugar, splenda, egg and vanilla, mix well. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a greased 8x4 loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes. Cool on rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.







3 comments:

  1. Hey, Kim. This blog looks like it's going to be fun. Now, if there were only a way to let us sample. Yummmm. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog spot! you better keep up with it otherwise you will be eating top ramen when you come to visit :) totally kidding!! I think I wanna try that curry chicken tonight!! but really???? TEN CHICKEN BREASTS???? Seems like a lot o' chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOps I meants 10 chicken thighs, I use the boneless, skinless and they are pretty small. Thanks for catching that! Ha yes it seems like a lot nut it will feed you all for a few days! Thanks for reading :)KIm

    ReplyDelete