"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My newest go to...and it's so good!

For my most recent birthday, I recieved a cookbook from a friend. It's the "Williams Sonoma’s A Taste of the World" and its just gorgeous(Thanks Am) The pictures are beautiful and with each turn of the page I have found our next vacation spot.

The first recipe I made out of the book was the Tandoori fish. Not only did it look good, I knew I had all the ingredients in my pantry. This recipe is from India and although I haven’t been there yet, I am in love with all the flavors in the cuisine.
This recipe is my latest go-to because it really is that easy and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. We buy bags of the frozen salmon fillets at Costco so I always have fish in the freezer.
Garam Masala is a basic blend of ground spices used throughout India. You can pick it up at the grocery store, I like to get my spices from Henry’s because they sell in bulk and then I can buy as much or as little as I think I will need for the month. I will post the recipe for those of you brave enough to make your own. I know you can do it!

Tandoori Fish

makes 2 servings

Stars of the show

2 salmon fillets
1tsp fresh lemon juice
1tsp minced garlic
1tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ajowan seeds or ½ tsp dried thyme *
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt
1Tbl non-fat or low-fat sour cream

*Ajowan is the seeds of the thymol plant, a close relative cumin and caraway. If you can’t find it at your local grocery or Asian market, Thyme will work in its place
Directions
Lay the fish in a shallow nonreactive dish. In a cup or small bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, ginger, garam masala, ajowan (or thyme) cayenne, and ½ tsp salt. Rub the spice mixture all over the fish. Coat the fillets with the sour cream, cover, and let marinade for 30 minutes at room temp. Or for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat or preheat a broiler. Place on the grill rack or a broiler pan and cook 5 inches from the heat source, turning once, until the fish is barely opaque, about 6 minutes total if using a grill or about 7 minutes if using a broiler. Transfer to a plate and serve at once.
Note: The last time I made this I started the fish on the grill and cooked it for about 5 minutes and then I transferred it onto a baking sheet and stuck in under the broiler for another minute or two. It turned out great and I feel like I kept more of the flavor on the fish then I did when I turned it on the grill. But either way tastes great!














No comments:

Post a Comment