"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Monday, March 16, 2009

Splenda candied nuts my way

My husband and I like to have a salad with dinner each night and we have grown very fond of salads with fruits, nuts and cheese in them.
To cut down on the sugar a bit,I make my candied nuts with Splenda. I will admit they are not as divine as the ones with real sugar, but for a nightly salad these are great. I will candy almonds, walnuts or pecans and pair accordingly with a fruit and cheese. We like to have the almonds with blueberries and goat cheese, pecans with strawberries and goat cheese or blue cheese and Walnuts with apples and blue cheese. I don't always plan ahead so sometimes Craisins take the place of fresh fruit as such tonight. Don't get me wrong Craisins are delicious in salads but it's just not the same as a fresh fruit!
So tonight I am making a salad with baby romaine lettuce, sliced red onion, goat cheese, candied almonds and Craisins. I drizzle a little Balsamic vinaigrette on top just before serving. The
vinaigrette is just balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I get my balsamic vinegar at Costco cause we use so much of it but let me tell you, this stuff is sooo good. I could probably drink it if I had to. I don't know why I would have to but I am just saying it is that good. So if you use a lot of balsamic vinegar like I do then check out Costco.

Splenda Candied Almonds
(makes enough for 2 salads)

Stars of the show
2 small handfuls of almonds ( or any nut you want to candy )
olive oil in a sprayer
splenda
salt & pepper
1 Tbl water


Directions
Heat a small saute pan over medium heat; when hot add almonds.

Cook the nuts stirring occasionally until you can smell them. Once you smell them you are ready for action. Spray some olive oil over the nuts so they all glisten.
Then sprinkle some salt and splenda over the nuts to cover. It will look like splenda snow :) then toss to coat.
Add the water, it will sizzle so be prepared to toss until the splenda is no longer white, now you can add some fresh pepper if you so choose to. Let them hang out in the pan for about 1 minute, tossing occasionally, and then turn onto a paper towl or plate to cool. Voila, you now have some yummy sugar free nuts!


















No comments:

Post a Comment