"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. "
Madam Benoit

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Smoky Black Beans

I just love the BBQ black beans from El Pollo Loco but since we don't eat take out very often I wanted to see if I could re create them at home. After many tries and variations, I came up with a recipe that is pretty darn close in my opinion. These beans are so yummy on a tostada, in a burrito or in a bowl by themselves.

Smoky Black Beans
serves 2

Stars of the show

1 can black beans
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
½ onion, diced
¼ tsp liquid smoke
2 Tbls brown sugar
5 slices jalapenos (jarred)
¼ cup BBQ sauce
1 cup chicken broth (water will work as well)
1 Tbls olive oil

Directions

Drain and rinse the beans
Sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil over medium heat until tender.
Add the beans, liquid smoke, sugar, jalapenos, Bbq sauce and chicken broth. Simmer 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, those beans look delicious. Everything on here looks delicious! Do we get to choose from all these dishes what we want you to bring to the family Easter gettogether?

    ReplyDelete